Practice Areas

LAOC attorneys offer legal advice in the areas of family law, domestic violence law, and housing law.

All services use the same application process.

Family Law

LAOC staff attorneys represent clients in family law matters including dissolution of marriage, custody, parenting time, termination of parental rights, name change, and adoption. When LAOC has a conflict of interest or LAOC staff attorneys have no capacity, LAOC may try to place a qualified applicant with a volunteer attorney through the Volunteer Attorney Program.

LAOC does not accept child support matters, but may refer child support matters to a family law clinic or the child support clinic. LAOC does accept some post-dissolution (“after divorce”) matters. When deciding whether to represent a client in a post-dissolution matter, LAOC evaluates whether there is a legal basis for the post-dissolution change requested and the impact that the change will have on the family involved in the matter.

Apply for Help with a Family Law matter (dissolution, custody, parenting time).

Domestic Violence

LAOC staff attorneys represent clients in legal matters involving domestic violence, including obtaining Orders for Protection and Harassment Restraining Orders. LAOC helps victims of abuse evaluate all legal options to help ensure protection for themselves and their children so that they can decide which options are right for their families. When LAOC has a conflict of interest with a client and cannot assist a qualified applicant with a domestic violence matter, LAOC will try to place these cases with a volunteer attorney through its Volunteer Attorney Program.

Housing Law

LAOC attorneys provide legal advice to tenants regarding their rights and responsibilities in landlord/tenant matters (non-subsidized housing), including eviction, expungement of evictions, security deposit issues, habitability and lease termination. Depending on the specific issues and facts, attorneys may offer brief advice, help a tenant negotiate with a landlord or attend court hearings.  Interested applicants must apply and income qualify to receive services.

For housing issues not involving a landlord/tenant issue, LAOC may be able to find a volunteer attorney to help.

LAOC does not assist with mobile home or subsidized housing issues.  For legal aid services for subsidized housing or mobile home issues in Olmsted County, contact Southern Minnesota Regional Legal Services (SMRLS) at 877-696-6529.

Landlord/Tenant hotline 24/7:  (507) 529-4111 

  • Trained advocates offer information about rental property in Minnesota.
  • Landlords and tenants can get information about their rights and responsibilities.
  • Anyone can call and receive information; income qualification not required.
  • Call (507) 529-4111 and leave a message describing your question, your name and phone number, and an advocate will return your call.
Emergency exit