Practice Areas

LAOC attorneys offer legal advice in the areas of family law, domestic violence law, and housing law:

Family Law

LAOC staff attorneys represent clients in family law matters including dissolution of marriage, custody, and parenting time. When LAOC has a conflict of interest with a client and cannot assist a qualified applicant with a family law matter LAOC places family law cases with volunteer attorneys in the Olmsted County community through the Volunteer Attorney Program. LAOC does not accept child support matters or place those matters with volunteer attorneys. LAOC accepts some post dissolution (“after divorce”) matters. When deciding whether to represent a client in a post dissolution matter, LAOC evaluates whether there is a legal basis for the post-dissolution change requested and the impact that the change will have on the family involved in the matter.

Apply for Help with a Family Law matter (dissolution, custody, parenting time).

Domestic Abuse

LAOC staff attorneys represent clients in legal matters involving domestic abuse including obtaining Orders for Protection and Harassment Restraining Orders. LAOC helps victims of abuse evaluate all legal options to help ensure protection for themselves and their children so that they can decide which options are right for their families. When LAOC has a conflict of interest with a client and cannot assist a qualified applicant with a domestic abuse matter LAOC places domestic abuse law cases with volunteer attorneys in the Olmsted County community.

Apply for Help with an Order for Protection or Harrassment Restraining Order.

Housing Law

LAOC has several programs to help people who need legal advice on a landlord-tenant or housing matter:

Weekly landlord-tenant advice clinic:

  • LAOC staff attorneys offer free legal advice on landlord-tenant matters from 9:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. every Friday at LAOC’s offices. Depending on the specific issues and facts, attorneys may offer brief advice, help a tenant negotiate with a landlord, or attend court hearings.
  • Must income qualify to receive services.
  • Walk-in or pre-register. To pre-register fill out an application, and drop it off at LAOC’s offices.

Landlord/Tenant hotline 24/7:  (507) 529-4111 

  • Trained advocates offer advice about rental property in Minnesota.
  • Landlords and tenants can get advice about their rights and responsibilities.
  • Anyone can call and receive advice; income qualification not required.
  • Call (507) 529-4111 and leave a message describing your question and leaving your name and phone number, and an advocate will return your call.

For housing issues not involving a landlord and tenant issue, LAOC may be able to find a volunteer attorney to help.

  • Must income qualify to receive services.
  • Must apply.
  • Other issues include: Purchase or Sale of Real Property, Mortgage Foreclosure, Mobile Home Issues, and Contract for Deed matters.